Monday, January 23, 2012

On Resolutions

I'm not usually one to make New Year's Resolutions.

 They can only end badly, as far as I'm concerned.
 But I like hearing about other people, and the changes that they are making in their lives. So I may have been a bit more attuned to listening the other day at the mall.

 I was in Claire's, picking up stuff at the 10 for $10 rack, to make goodie bags for Kelly's party.

 There were two women working in the store, and I was the only customer.

 After they'd both assured themselves that I needed no help, they went back to straightening shelves, or whatever it was that they were doing. And they continued with their conversation.

 Lady 1: So, did I mention my resolution?

 Lady 2: No, are you going back to the gym?

 Lady 1: No. I've made a change in my diet. For my heart health. I'm CUTTING SEEDS OUT OF MY DIET.

 Lady 2: (silence)

 Lady 1: Look at wolves. They never have heart problems. They're healthy as horses, and they spend their days running around eating red meat. But birds are falling out of the sky all the time. It's the seeds. So I'm cutting out seeds, and I won't have to worry about dropping dead from a heart attack.

 Lady 2: (silence)

 Me: (trying desperately to avoid snickering behind my hand. This is the proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Although a little knowledge sure was entertaining to me that afternoon at Claire's)

No comments: