Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Because I can be counted on to say the wrong thing.

Ken's mom arrived on Saturday, and spent two days with us before heading off about an hour south of us to spend the rest of this week with her adopted Chinese grandchildren.

I drove mom down to the Wong's house, and it wasn't a big deal (or it wouldn't have been if Nate's teacher hadn't called me halfway to my destination to say that Nate really was starting to look sick... whoopsie) But anyways, not a big deal.

I get to Wong's house, and his wife comes out and thanks Mom for coming, and I'm trapped in amongst all the hugs and kisses and "oh how your children have grown since I was here last", and I'm thinking "gotta get back to school - 35 miles away - before Nate vomits in class!", Jennie Wong turns to me and says "And thank you for letting us take her from you for the week", and me, not being on the ball (I swear, I have this disability that makes me say ALL THE WRONG THINGS if I am not paying complete and UTTER attention), I can't think of what to say in response. I know that I am EXPECTED to say something in response, in the same way that when someone says "How do you do?" you say ".... something..." back at them. But what was I supposed to say?

My mind drew a blank in the nanosecond that I was deer-in-the-headlights realizing that I needed to say something, so I opened my mouth without thinking...

"Oh no... Thank YOU! Thank YOU for taking her"

Did I just say that?

Did I just THANK SOMEONE IN FRONT OF MY MOTHER IN LAW for TAKING HER OFF OUR HANDS?????

Don't you want to be Just Like Me?

I knew you did.

No comments: