Friday, February 12, 2010

Truancy

I got a phone call last night.

It was an automated voice on the other end. "Hello. This is the [my town] high school district, calling to inform you regarding a truancy for your child... Skip... Parker... . Your child... was absent from... fourth period... yesterday... without leave... Please call [telephone number] and ask for extension [extension number] as soon as possible to clear up this truancy from your child's record...."

EGADS!

My son! A truant!

And I was scrambling for a pencil to write down the telephone number, so I wasn't really paying attention to the number, but I was sure that the message would repeat...

I wasn't expecting it to repeat... IN SPANISH.

And my Spanish skills are legendary... NOT!

So I had no idea what number to call.

Pooh. That meant that I would have to go in to the school and clear this matter up. Ick!

But what's up with a truancy???? I had to get to the bottom of this!!!!

I pulled Skip off the computer almost instantly once I hung up the phone.


"Skip? The high school just phoned. What happened? Where were you during Fourth Period? Off smoking behind the shop class?" I joked, pretty sure that I was wrong in my guess.

He looked up. Then reached down into his backpack. "Mom, EVERY one of my teachers knew where I was during Fourth period. In fact, I was absent during second, third AND fourth period. And I had to get ALL of my teachers to sign off on it, too. My Trig teacher pulled me out for this," and he handed me a piece of paper.




Ah. He'd been pulled from class to compete FOR HIS SCHOOL in the national Math Contest.

I went from being worried to being Incredibly PROUD in the matter of a few seconds.

I think I like this kind of truancy. Heh. Bring it on!

No comments: