Wednesday, December 29, 2010

More Wedding Prep

So, tonight is Starbuck's bachelor party.

Hopefully, we won't hear anything about it on the news. You see, our friend Nick belongs to the "Go Big or Go Home" school of party-planning, and he was put in charge of the Bachelor Party.

*checks watch*

If things went according to plan, Starbuck was kidnapped in the last 15 minutes by a county sheriff and three veterans of Desert Storm. Hopefully, as the sheriff commented, without witnesses, because all it would take is one call to 911, and the whole plan could be stopped at gunpoint. But, again as the sheriff commented, he figures he could probably flash his badge and talk his way out of things, which would be awkward, with a capital AWK.

So we won't think that.

In the last week, Starbuck hasn't been allowed to go home. He hasn't been allowed to drive down his street, or see his house. You see, in the last 3 days, his house was turned into a scene from the first Star Wars movie. The scene where Luke and Obi Wan meet Han Solo. Our pastor has been working on his Han Solo costume for the last month, and threatened to wear it to church last Sunday because it was, and I quote him here, "So FREAKIN' COOL!" Nick is bald, and is hosting the party as Darth Maul. Fully costumed, of course. And the entire inside of the house is one big Tatooine Man Cave.

I contemplated growing a beard, and trying to crash the party so I could photograph it.

They were pressuring Ken to come as Chewbacca. But, alas, the costumes were VERY expensive, and my time was a little bit taken up with other things, so when Ken made the "um, it's probably too late for you to make me a costume" noises the day before yesterday (with hope in his voice, because he didn't want to be wearing a shag carpet at a big crowded party any more than the next guy), you know what my answer was. Instead, he wore Skip's long black cloak, black jeans, black shirt, and his black leather vest. That, along with a red light saber (thank you, kids, for never throwing ANYTHING away), and he was a stealth-sith.

Kelly and I have done a bit more wedding prep at the church.

On Monday, when we got the sanctuary ready, we didn't move the drum kit from the center back of the stage.

You can sort of see it in this photo:

Kind of an eyesore to be in the back of every photo of the ceremony.

We found some screening in the back room, and brought it out...

OK, so now you can't see the drums, but it does kind of look like the backdrop for the Dating Game.

And the one side of the screen droops kind of awkwardly. Someone better fix that.

Hello, my little duct tape engineer...

You OK in there?

But now we see big patches of red duct tape... That's not good.

How about eight yards of 108-inch wide black muslin?

(And yes, I used a coupon at Joann's. 40% off. Boo YEAH!)

Last night, we had a holiday open house at our place. Beef tenderloin sliders, massive cheese tray, and desserts.

Nick came over, and was dishing on all the wedding preparations, and all the chaos that had been going on at the tuxedo fitting that afternoon. Apparently, everything that could go wrong, actually did. There were bow ties instead of regular ties, and the pocket squares were the wrong colour of green. "Barf-worthy", I think was the shade that Nick thought they'd been given. I said "Well, if you just want pocket squares that are appropriate, I can take care of that. Do you have an idea of the colour?

And he said "Hey! Do you want to see the tux?"

Of course!

So he went out to his car, and brings in his tuxedo bag. It's a gorgeous thing. I can hardly wait to see the whole thing put together.

And then he says "Well, they gave us the bow ties, even though they're wrong. And they're the same fabric as the ties are going to be. Could you use this?"

So, this morning? After I dropped Skip off at Driver's Ed (eek!), I stopped in at Joann's, and found some silk that was as close as it gets. Ok, it's not actually silk-silk, but it's silky fabric. And over the course of the afternoon, I put together 6 pocket squares for the guys to use in the breast pocket of their tuxedo jackets.

I hope they're ok.

And now, I'm off to the airport to pick up the last groomsman, who's flying in with his wife tonight. I think I'm dropping him off at the Cantina... maybe I should take my camera... just in case...

No comments: