Sunday, May 02, 2010

Day 2

I cannot be getting sick. I cannot be getting sick. I cannot be getting sick.


There. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

Nate's class is going on a great field trip tomorrow, and I am one of the drivers. I'm looking forward to this. It's a creative-writing seminar up in The City, and I intend on paying close attention so I can see if I can use any of the ideas to spark interest in Skip, the boy who has been told for the last 4 years that he is Not Creative, and can Not Write. Argh.

Speaking of?

Earlier last week, he said "Oh, and I need to get to school early on Wednesday:"

Oh? I said.

"Yeah. The Advanced Placement Test for English is before school, and I'm going to take it. It's optional."

WHoa! My son is taking an OPTIONAL test in ENGLISH????

Seems that this is the gateway to getting into the AP stream in English and History. As a freshman, you have to be recommended for the Advanced stream, but once you're in high school, you can say "I want to be in Advanced Placement" and they have to let you in. I did let him know that just because they have to let him in doesn't mean that they have to give him a good mark, but the thing about AP is that good students rise to the challenge, and I honestly think that Skip really just needs to be challenged.

He also reminded me that I said I would look into signing him up for college courses in the fall.

Yikes!


Also in the "Who are you, and what did you do with my son?" department:

A few weeks ago, just after supper, Skip came up to me and said "Would it be OK if I had a shower tonight?"

Yes!

I know!

STOP THE PRESSES!

I did a complete double take. I thought I'd heard things wrong. Did my son just ASK to have a shower?

The next thing you know, he'll be bringing his gym strip home without being asked! Then the sun will stand still! Dogs and cats, living together! You get the likelihood.

So the boy had a shower. WIthout being told! And then he spent EXTRA TIME in the bathroom... FIXING HIS HAIR!

I just need to write this down somewhere.

Apparently (after the fact, I find this out), there MIGHT be a girl in his PE class. And she MIGHT have mentioned that she likes his hair...

But that's just a rumour at this point.



In other news.

Jewel loves Nate.

No comments: