Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Math surprise

I'm late picking Skip up after school today, and he's got that nervous look about him. And he gets in the car and says "I need to show you something. Before I forget. Because I was supposed to show you a while ago. And the teacher made me write it on my hand."

And all my alarm bells go off.

Detention slip?

Being held back in English?

What's up?

I really, really, REALLY do not need ONE MORE THING TO STRESS OUT ABOUT, PLEASE!

And he reaches into his backpack, and reaches under the SOGGY PILE OF WET GYM STRIP (hello, swimming-for-PE, I'm really getting tired of the destruction you're wreaking on the contents of my son's backpack) and pulls out a nearly-disintegrated binder, and opens it up, and starts flipping through papers that are really rather soggy around the edges.

And his hands are shaking.

This is not a good sign.

Is it?

He pulls out this damp paper, and says "You need to read this. And you kind of need to read this now..."

.......................................

April 29, 2010 [ok, this is a little bit late coming home, wouldn't you think?]

.

.

Dear Parent,

.

.

.

It is my pleasure to inform you that Skip Parker is to be complimented for his achievement in Mathematics. To receive an A+ Honors Grade in Mathematics at [highschool], a student must earn 95 percent of the points possible in class, and complete at least one of the following additional requirements:


  1. An extra project or report involving math

  2. Active Math Club participation

  3. Doing at least 1-0 hours of after school tutoring

  4. Working as a teacher's assistant

  5. Being on the Math Awards Night Committee

The Mathematics Department congratulates you on your student's successful completion of these requirements.

All Honors students and their parents are being invited to attend the Thirty-Sixth Annual Math Awards Night being planned in their honor. The event will take place on TUESDAY, May 18th, from 7:00 to 9:00pm.


Signed,


[teacher]


[principal]


.......................................................



Now *THAT* is a piece of good news.

But, if you'll excuse me, I've gotta find a place for Nate to go. The award ceremony is just for the parents.

Dancie, dancie, dance!

No comments: