Thursday, January 19, 2006

Kellymas Eve

Kellymas Eve 1/19/2006
So, tonight is Kellymas Eve.

Kelly was talking about opening her presents at breakfast tomorrow morning, while I was taking the kids to supper tonight, and Skip started asking if she was REALLY going to be six by breakfast. Actually, no. She wasn't born until 4:45pm, so, technically, she should have to wait until almost supper to open her presents.

This thrilled Skip in a sick little way, let me tell you. He was born at 1:57am, so by breakfast, he's already WELL into his birthday-day, and he made a point of saying that he ALWAYS waits until he's REALLY the age before he opens his presents.

Yeah. It's a little hard to beat the clock on that one, buddy.

Poor Kelly, I thought she was going to burst into tears right there in the car. (Didn't help that she was already fragile, as I'd been nearly 20 minutes late to pick her up at school after my 'date' with Jim the Ant Killer earlier in the afternoon).

So I came up with the idea of Kellymas Eve.

You know, like Christmas Eve.

And in OUR house, kids get to open ONE gift on Christmas Eve, after supper, as a little foretaste of what's to come the next morning.

This would be good for Kelly, as Ken leaves at the crack of oh-dark-thirty to leave for work in the mornings, and he would miss out on the present-opening carnage otherwise. This way, we let her open something tonight, and then she MIGHT be able to wait until supper on Birthday Day.

I foresee a Natemas Eve in July, and next year, a Skipmas Eve.

I think it's a pretty good tradition.

Of course, if I was a good teach-them-a-lesson-in-character sort of mom, they'd only be getting one birthday gift, and the whole idea would be moot.

Yeah. Like that'll ever happen.



Ken had a meeting late today, so I took the kids out for pizza before taking Skip to Youth Group.

Pizza was a big hit (all the kids cheered, so you know you've got a winner), and I even managed to pry a few quarters from my tight fist, so the kids could play a few rounds of quarter-driven games at the pizza place.

On the way home from dropping Skip and Laura (daughter of neighbour-friends who go to our church) at youth group, Kelly says "How long until we get home?"

I'm thinking she's anxious to start looking at the wrapped pile of gifts, so I tease "Oh, we'll be home in plenty of time for you to look at the gifts. But remember. You can only look with your eyes until tomorrow. No touching until your actual Birthday."

"No, mom." she whines, "I don't care about that. I need to go potty."

"Oh. We'll be home soon. All that fruit punch you drank at the pizza place is catching up with you, isn't it?"

"Not piddle, mom!" she sighs, and I can hear the eye-roll without even looking back. "I don't need to pee. I've gotta make manure."

Say WHAT?

No comments: