Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Memory Lane 10. Birthday Memories

On this, the eve of Remembrance Day (Armistice Day/ Veteran's Day... and also my birthday) I thought I would give you a taste of what we did Every Year on this day.

First, there would be birthday festivities. Usually over breakfast.


Ooh! I wonder what's in those parcels???? The blue one is probably a shirt. But not a Stretch-N-Sew one. Mom didn't learn to do that until we were living in the house with the daisy wallpaper in the kitchen. See?

Oh look. I'm SIX! No wait. Hold on a minute. We moved into that house when I was in first grade, and I'd already turned six. So this must be Birthday Number Seven.

But no time to dilly-dally. Even though it's NEVER a school day, and the stores are closed, we've got places to go and things to do.

Because every year, Dad was involved in SOME way with the Remembrance Day parade or memorial at the cenotaph. And no matter the weather (seriously, I have frozen my fingers OFF on more than one occasion, standing at the cenotaph), we would be out there, watching the parade, saluting the veterans, and then standing silently at the memorial cenotaph, no matter which town we were living in. And I can still recite In Flanders Fields, too.

This is Prince Rupert. Probably around 1965 or 1966.

We must never forget.

No comments: