Friday, November 06, 2009

Memory Lane 6. Mumps

So we're not always healthy and happy in our home.

While I was working in Nate's class yesterday afternoon, he looked a little lethargic, sitting at his desk while all the other kids had pulled their chairs up around the teacher while she read Pippi Longstockings. I looked over at him, and he said "My head hurts".

Uh oh.

Well, they'd just come in from outside, and I thought maybe he had some lingering allergies from the freshly cut grass, or something, but then I went over to him, and touched his head.

There were six kids out yesterday with a fever.

Nate made Number Seven.

He's home today. We'll see how much stuff I can get done around the house while he rests and dopes himself up on Tylenol.

But what does this have to do with Memory Lane?

Let's take a trip in the way-back machine.

November 1971, to be exact.


That's me, on my birthday, WITH THE MUMPS.

How's that for a groovy birthday present?

I think I probably should also give a shout-out to those great plaid pants. I think my mom made them. She took a Stretch-And-Sew class in the summer that year, and my brother and I got the "privelege" of wearing all her creations.

Fortunately, I think the Brady Bunch girls were wearing trousers like that, that fall, so all was well.

My oldest son only wears orange. I wonder where THAT came from...

Well, it's time to take Nate's temperature again, and take Kelly off to school.

Let's hope Nate is the only one in our family to get this nasty fever, but with fifty kids knocked down by it in the school, I wouldn't be surprised if we get hit again.

Have a great day, folks. Wash your hands.

No comments: