Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Christmas Morning 2010 Part 2

Hey, remember that time I used to write here, and post photos?

yeah... me too.

Man, I'm glad I didn't have a "I will write more" New Year's Resolution. That would've sucked, because I already broke it.

Instead, I have resolved to gain 20 pounds and really let myself go this year. It's time to have an attainable goal this year, and I say "Aim High". Also, I resolve to not have my house constantly mistaken for Martha Stewart's this year.

All kidding aside...

I am at the age where I forget stuff if I don't write it down.

So here I am writing down Christmas. Nearly 2 weeks after the fact.

When last we left our intrepid family, the mother had demanded that the Eldest Child march immediately to the showers before any more Present Opening Photographs were taken, because the grease in the hairdo had reached critical mass. He was also instructed to USE SHAMPOO (because, you know, if you don't SAY he has to use shampoo, he probably WON'T use shampoo)

Interestingly, while Skip was off having a short shampoo-filled shower, Nate and Kelly entertained themselves quietly and happily, not whining about the presents that awaited them at all.

Ahem.

These are not my children, obviously.

Soon, a sweet smelling son emerged, all fresh and shiny, and ready to read the Christmas Story.

For the last 10 years (at least), Skip's 'job' on Christmas Morning has been to read this lovely book called "This is the Star". It is a beautifully illustrated book, and EVERYONE should have one in their home library.

Here, I took a little quickie video of him reading one part of it.

Anyways, good to see the boys getting along...

We wrap everything at Christmas. Kids get socks and underwear, and you never know what a box may contain.

You may think that you're getting the cymbal upgrade for your Rock Band X-box drum kit, when instead...

SURPRISE! It's a shirt! Don't you just love Nate's rapture and awe at this discovery?

We also have a tradition of handing squishy parcels to each other with the phrase "I wrapped the socks MYSELF!"

And sometimes? They actually ARE socks!

(Ken does a much better job of looking surprised AND happy.)

Kelly got Nate an origami calendar. A big hit.

And it's important to try to divine what is inside each parcel before you open it.

Nate opened a winter coat, and decided to wear it. (This will come in handy later, when he decides to HIDE one of his presents inside his coat, so he can be assured of being the LAST ONE to open a present at the end of things). Here, he is pontificating on what he thinks this next present will be.

"I think this will be a Night Light"

Nate, you ARE correct!

Time for me to open my present. Kelly picked it out, and Ken paid for it. It is from both of them.

It is a fireplace candelabra. I have wanted one of these for a long time, and it's perfect.

I still have to photograph it all set up.

Nate stashes a gift. He is not very stealthy.

It's like the Gift of the Magi! Kelly gets Nate a page-a-day calendar, and what does Nate get Kelly?

Fortunately, no watches were sold, and no hair was cut in the making of these presents.

Ken's lemon tarts will never stick in the pan again!

A special present for me, from Ken. Not to be shared.

Merry Christmas to all.

No comments: