Monday, January 10, 2011

Photo dump

So last month, I did a little photo outside-my-comfort-zone contest over at One Photo Everyday. Even made it into the finals, and came away tied for 2nd place, which thrilled me to no end.

The site is continuing, with a weekly photo extravaganza, where we post photos weekly, rather than daily. There is still the potential for a daily photo (I'm thinking of paying closer attention to dailyshoot.com), but the posting, and viewing will be weekly, rather than daily (which, I am sure, was a whole lot of work for the OPE admin person)

I haven't decided if I'm going to work with the prompts, or just post my 'best photo of the week', or 'some subset of daily photos', but when you come across an entry here, with that cryptic "OPE:xxx" title, at least you'll know that I'm not selling secrets to the Soviets, or anything.

This initial prompt was "Language and Rust", and seeing as I've taken my camera out exactly ONE TIME since this year began, I don't know if I can come up with something from this month that matches the prompts. So, in that respect, this time I will dig into my archives, and pull out some shots of things last month that never got shown.

For instance:

I chaperoned a youth event for our church that had all the kids descending on Sky High last month. It was a hoot and a half, as well as being chock full of Girl Drama at times. But we gloss over that, and give you my fave shot from that evening:

This was also my first little get-to-know-you session with the Nikon 85mm f/1.8 lens that I rented from borrowlenses.com, and ended up using to shoot parts of the New Year's Eve wedding.

And Nate had his Classroom Party on the last day of school before break, and I broke free from my pre-holiday ennui long enough to head down to school and take a few photos in the classroom.

Nothing says fun like a penguin made out of a toilet paper tube.

I just got a note from Nate's teacher thanking me for the lovely photos (I shared my picasa album with her), and saying how much fun it was to see the enjoyment that the kids got out of the craft, and how cute it was, 'especially that photo where one boy is making the penguins talk to each other". So I'm going to say that this might fit under the broad umbrella of "Language", when you know that the big picture has the boy on the right (out of frame) making what he considers to be 'penguin noises' as he bobs his toilet paper tube penguin up and down. You can tell, though that the girl penguin in the middle of the frame can see right through his act. She isn't buying what he's selling. Not for one minute, even if the guy with the purple eyes beside her is stunned by what he's hearing.

Nate's penguin stayed out of the fray.

He didn't want to mess up his penguin hair-do.

No comments: